Give a Dog a Bone, Keep Kitty Happy (GADAB) is a Christmas appeal that assists animal shelters and other animal services by providing them with toys, treats and food for cats and dogs.
In 2016 we celebrated our 10th year!
- Find out who benefits from donations
- Download our full 2015 report ‘The last wag of the tail’
- Download our full 2016 report ‘The last wag of the tail‘
- Download our full 2017 report ‘The last wag of the tail’
Founded by Nicola Addison in 2006, Give a Dog a Bone, Keep Kitty Happy invites people in the community to place one pet item (a treat, toy or food for cats or dogs) in their shopping trolley just prior to Christmas and to take it to one of the designated collection points located throughout Sydney, Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury. The items are then collected and distributed to animal shelters and services in need.
Please pass on information about the appeal to your friends, work colleagues and communities. You may want to share our cause by email, social networking, or with posters, flyers, T-shirts or through word of mouth.
Why we do it
Holding the Give a Dog a Bone, Keep Kitty Happy appeal around Christmas is to capture the spirit of giving that is part of the festive season and also to draw attention to the particularly serious strain on services caring for homeless animals at this time of year.
- Animal services often experience an influx of animals over the Christmas period or directly after.
- People in the community want to do something to assist animal services. Offering an opportunity to donate one item provides a simple means to do this and has a direct positive impact on the animals and the service.
- To raise awareness of the many animals who do not have a home.
- Donating to this appeal will also directly assist organisations helping homeless people or people who are in financial need to care for their pets (Way2Home, Pets in the Park and HIV Community Organisations).